Amazon’s relatively new ecommerce channel for handmade sellers is a terrific option to consider if you are looking to expand outside Etsy. With instant access to 250 million people who currently shop on Amazon, it can really help take your products instantly to a large range of new customers and markets. Other benefits include no upfront fees, including waived monthly seller fees for handmade sellers.
One difference between Amazon and Etsy is that there is an application process involved before you can open a store on Handmade and begin selling - this is to keep the quality of products high on the marketplace and to ensure that all products are truly handmade. Although this may seem like an unnecessary hurdle that puts you off this channel, this process ensures that you aren’t competing with low cost, mass produced versions of your products.
The requirements for selling on Amazon Handmade are that all products must:
- Be handmade from start to finish (i.e. no sub-processes that are outsourced) and
- Be made by yourself, your employees (of up to 20 people) or via a small collective (cooperative, non profit or a charity). You cannot, in otherwords, contract any part of the production process to an outside agency - it needs to be all inhouse.
If you feel that you meet the requirements, the Amazon application process itself is straightforward and shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to complete.
To apply for Amazon Handmade, follow the steps below:
Go to the Amazon Handmade page and click the yellow button titled “Apply to Sell”
- Choose your marketplace from the popup that appears. This will usually be the same location as where your business is based, however you might need to go through the application process for different marketplaces if you would like to also sell internationally. Marketplaces currently available for Amazon Handmade are: United States, Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain and Italy.
- Complete Section 1 of the form that appears. This part is for your basic contact details and to confirm that you meet the basic requirements of an artisan or cooperative.
- The next section “Tell us about your work” is to allow you to explain your products and how you make them.
- Next, you’ll want to describe your products and processes to ensure that Amazon is clear that you create your products and that they meet the criteria of the Amazon Handmade marketplace. You’ll want to go into detail about what exactly materials you use to create your handmade products, a description of your production processes and also the approximate length of time that each step in your manufacturing process takes. As the textbox is quite small, you’ll most likely want to write this out in a word editor on your computer and then copy it through to this section.
- Although the next section “Show us your work” says that it is optional, it is strongly recommended that you take the time to complete this as part of your application. The application form indicates that these photos can be either of the finished product or of your production process. You’ll want to consider uploading a combination of both and ensure that all photos look as professional as possible.
- Finally, you’ll want to confirm the best category for your products on Amazon Handmade. The categories currently available to choose from on this marketplace are:
- Beauty & Personal Care
- Clothing, Shoes & Handbags
- Home, Outdoor & Home Care
- Jewelry & Watches
- Kitchen & Dining
- Pet Supplies
- Sporting Goods
- Stationery & Party Supplies
- Toys & Games
If your category isn’t listed (for example food or electronics) this unfortunately means that Amazon Handmade is not accepting products from these categories just yet.
- The final section is to allow Amazon Handmade to learn more about how sellers are hearing about the marketplace and also for you to confirm that you are in compliance and submitting accurate information. Once you have reviewed your application to ensure that this is the case, click the Submit Application button.
Once submitted, your application will be assessed by the Amazon Handmade Team and you will receive a response within 7-14 days.
Once you have your Amazon Handmade store up and running, your next task will be inventory management: how to track the sales you make can start to get difficult if you are already selling on other marketplaces like Etsy.To make this task so much easier, Craftybase Inventory Management Software has just announced a brand new integration with Amazon Handmade meaning you can track your product stock on this channel alongside our other available integrations.